Friday, June 12, 2009

First Updates from Chicago!

Well, I promised to blog about my experiences here in Chicago. I've been here for two full days, and haven't really done a whole lot, but mom made me promise to blog at least every day or so, even if it's just to say I cleaned a toilet. So, here it is.
Yesterday was mostly a chill day to just settle in, get to know the other interns, and prepare for the next two months. Mom and I went to go find something to load pictures from my camera to the computer (so generously loaned out to me by Pastor Bob, thank you again, by the way). That was an interesting experience. We had looked for a Best Buy and found a location on the internet, got directions, lost the directions, got lost, drove on an island, and finally found an Office Max. Then when we finally found the USB thingies, they only had two and neither of them worked for my camera, and when we were about to leave, the sales associate found a thing for my memory card that would take the pictures straight from my memory card, which was pretty cool. Then mom decided that I needed a lap desk, a mouse pad, stationery, pens, and a sweatshirt. I'm thinking I should do this kind of thing more often, if mom is so willing to buy me stuff! We were going to get me a sweatshirt, but the only one they had at the thrift store was a 3X Chicago Bears swearshirt that mom wouldn't let me get. I would have worn it, too. So we left, and went to lunch at Red Lobster. Then Pastor Tim called, and said that he was there (which was what we were waiting for), so we went back to the church and got the rest of my stuff settled, and after what seemed like an eternity of hugs and kisses mom left. Then me and the other interns all went to Pastor Tim's house and hung out until we were given instructions for the supplies we're supposed to use. So we got back to the church where we're staying and started to make dinner, and everyone else decided on spaghetti. Joy. After that we all just kind of chilled in the lounge and watched "A Walk to Remember" and "One Night with the King."
Today we had our orientation and learned what we were going to be doing today and the next few months in regards to the outreaches. Then we went through all the candy and prizes, and ate lunch, and here I am now, writing this.
Care packages can be sent and will be gladly welcomed, especially ones bearing food, such as cookies. I'll have to send the address to my dad, unless my mom has the address, in which case, you can ask her, because I have no idea what the address is.
I am missing you all so much! Love you all!

3 comments:

Ruthie Oberg said...

They made spaghetti???? You poor thing! HUGS!

Sounds like a great start! Tell Carrie, Priscialla, Alex and "the unknown intern" HI and that I'm praying for all of you.

Got home late last night from Missionette camp and then went to Pr. Bob's for dinner with Wenig's. Now getting ready to have them over here tonight. Gracie has to set up the table settings since you are not here. She's doing the "rose table."

Love you!

eagle23 said...

Yes. My first dinner here and they made spaghetti. =(

Ha, ha! Sucker!

Elisabeth Oberg said...

Ha! I'm not the sucker as much as you are! You had spaghetti! You HATE spaghetti. I had to set the table. i always liked doing that. so there!

Great movies to watch! Loved them both!