Sunday, June 21, 2009

3rd String of Chicago Updates

Okay, sorry for not blogging since my last one. I keep forgetting. I also am not much for blogging.
Wow... I can't believe it's been a week since I last blogged! Oh well, this one will just be longer.
Okay, so I left of on Tuesday, therefore I will start with Wednesday (the day Brennan was born!!) Anyway, Wednesday was our outreach in the Hill, an area of town that is dominantly Mexican. The weather was great, sunny with a few clouds, but really hot and humid. They were expecting only a few people to come, since it was still our first outreach there, but there were about 20 who showed up! Since it was a mainly Hispanic population, we did some things in Spanish (the chorus of "Trading My Sorrows" is really easy in Spanish. "Si, senor, si si, senor") But thankfully, the kids all spoke English. I was suddenly grateful for my Spanish courses that I took last year. But anyway, they seemed very responsive to everything, which was amazing! I am still amazed by how much these kids just want to help out.
Thursday was our first outreach in the Wentworth area in Chicago Heights. One of the other interns and I switched roles, and she did the puppet and I was the person who interacted with the puppet in our skit. The kids there were so open and welcoming! They are so free! They would get up and dance and do all the motions during all the songs, and were involved and interested in everything we did. I met a lot of new kids, and I think I have most of the names down. Right when we ended everything and were mostly packed up it started to rain, so we were so thankful for that! These kids are just so open to everyone, and will randomly give me hugs, play with my hair, and toss a ball around. It's nice to know that you're getting them out of their ordinary schedules or routines and giving them something that will last eternally with them and give them some hope.
Friday was kind of a chill day, so we hung out and watched movies (mostly chick flicks, since one of the other girls wanted to get her "heart captured." So that was fun. We also got stuff ready for this coming weeks' outreaches. We're talking about citizenship and fitting in and being yourself (feel free to write any suggestions you have on my Facebook page, or comment on this blog).
Saturday two of the other interns and I babysat the New Hope kids during the Father's Day breakfast. We ate and played some games, and I met a few new kids. Then we got back to the church and again watched some chick flicks and ate ice cream.
Today we did Kid's Church because the children's pastor had some things that came up unexpectedly. So we had a skit with some puppets, had a story about tithing, and worked on books of the Bible. They are really good! I was impressed. We talked about how not tithing was robbing from God, and one of the girls brought up a really great point about how giving all to God didn't just include income. It's everything about us. Our happy times, our burdens, our praise, everything. We didn't get to do Sunday school because there weren't any kids there at that time, so we got to stay and listen to the adult class. They talked on Joshua 9:1-18, and Judges 2: 6-8 and it was really good. We need more black people in our church. I'm learning so much about so many different things, and I am so grateful for this amazing opportunity!

4 comments:

Richard said...

You are really showing the mature side of yourself. You will really be changed and come back to us the same person but with different thoughts and attitude. It is really nice seeing you grow and seek out more in God...Richard

Das Rodeo Clown said...

I am really looking forward to your return...I have some plans in mind for you! PB

Ruthie Oberg said...

I'm glad for all those Spanish classes, too. Sounds like they are coming in handy! Proud of you! HUGS!

eagle23 said...

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement! Although, I'm not sure I like the sound of "plans", Pastor Bob!